Start a Fire

Start a Fire
Storyblazer Introduction

Where I got this Photo.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tonos_world/83502835/

Monday, June 1, 2009

Pre-Review of UP

Up- Pre-Review

Sometimes the time for timely writing is difficult to find the time to do. It seems as when I actually find that time and grab on to it and try to milk from it, all that it’s worth, some interference, interruption or inter-annoyance gums up the clock. I have had actually wads of giant gum shot at me from a gum gun.
As I was floating in my little log Cabin over the Atlantic Ocean, trying to Storyblaze the latest film review, our cinematic film review rivals’ , the Flick Fighters, showed up floating on their little rain clouds, determined to rain on my writing parade. If you’re wondering , my LLC was held UP by a inflatable

Floating Bugs Bunny.


“What’s Up Doc?”

“I am you silly wabbit”.

Sometimes the latest films will have me doing something similar to what I saw in the film. It helps me to write and think more clearly. Before the Flick Fighters fired their lightning bolts at me, they fired their insults and accusations. As I came out of theater with my leprechaun girl friend and my friend who happens to be a tall ray elf, we talked and were overheard by a Flick Fighter. They didn’t like my review of the new Star Trek and didn’t like my negative comments on the new Pixar. They didn’t want to wait for strike two to be written before I sent it out and corrupted minds with my corrupted review.

All I said was that Star Trek had too many dang close-ups, too many nonchalant attitudes, “Time Travel? That’s totally reasonable although It never happen before”, and a love affair with Spock and Uhura that neither added or subtracted anything from the film. This review was destroyed by some overzealous Flick Fighter Trekies. Now some overzealous Flick Fighter Pixies, I mean that literally, were there to challenge my negative thoughts of ‘UP’, the latest Pixar film. Here is what we ended Up talking about.

And why the Flick Fighters got so worked Up.

Overall I did like ‘Up’, but not as much as some other Pixar films that I have seen. I thought it was missing some of the nice little Easter egg eye candy that other Pixar films have had. Not that Generation X cultural references are important in the overall scope of a film, but they added some fun stuff to look out for. I also thought once the prolog was over, the story jumped to the main part of the story too quickly without the usual Pixar build up that really paced the film out well. Pacing is a big thing for me.

I thought we would see the Balloon Powered House travel over landscapes with beautiful stunning views before it reached its final destination. But it pretty much went to the clouds then South America. Then they found the Bird and the talking dogs and then the villain. All that quickly. I guess instead of getting to the heart of the story so quickly they could have built up the story more with other extra goodies and treats. At one point they talked about a possible flash forward that turned out to be plot background. They talked about a labyrinth that the big rare bird hid in and that the minion dogs got lost in, and then they never showed it. A hint at something cool that never came about.

My girlfriend went thinking she would be seeing a cute fun and friendly kids film. She was expecting loads of fun especially because it was in 3D. The 3D really didn’t add anything to the story by the way. It didn’t make it a more visually exciting experience. Kind of like Spock and Uhura in Star Trek. She ended up going to this film to laugh which she did, especially at the Talking Dog’s bad squirrel Joke.

But she cried more then laughed. To quote her, “You expect this kind of sad story on Lifetime but not in a Kids’ 3D film”. Now this aspect of the film didn’t really bother me, I think it isn’t necessarily a bad thing to cry at a animated film. But her expectations were directed elsewhere from what she expected as were mind, which is why it didn’t thrill me enough to want to go out and see it again on the big screen, although I do have some other elf friends who will want to see it.

But even though I had some somewhat negative things to say, I wasn’t going to write about those in my review. As I sit back and think about the film, I find that there is plenty of Story to Blaze out of it. It is overall a very good film because it is a Pixar film and even their stuff that isn’t the best is still better then most stuff that is considered the best. In fact the film may take another look around to perhaps appreciate it more.

I was trying to explain all this to the Flick Fighters but they didn’t like the fact that I found anything negative at all. The next couple of hours had me running away from them in my Little Log Floating Cabin as they tried to strike me with lighting from their little black rainclouds. The Bugs Bunny Float was lighting proof, which made the chase last so long. They were finally swallowed by a Great Blue Whale, giving me time to escape. I haven’t had time to write my real Story Blazer review of Up, but that is coming up. It’s good that I write this one, that way I get all my negative criticisms out of my system. It just goes to show you that certain films like close friends, you can love them for who they are but yet still pick out those things that need to be improved.

This is a Pre-Review Banyai the Elf StoryBlazer Report.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers